The Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW) is with this Data Protection Declaration meeting its statutory information obligations in regard to protection of personal data. The legal foundations emerge in particular from the following regulations:
In this Data Protection Declaration you can find out what personal data we process and for what purpose we do so on our websites as well as in connection with the statutory vocation of ÖAW. In addition, we are informing you about your rights as a person possibly affected by our data processing.
We request you to read this Data Protection Declaration carefully. Within the framework of cooperation agreements and business relations as well as by using our offers, products and services, which entail transmittal of your personal data to us, you hereby declare that you have been informed about the use of your personal data in accordance with the present Data Protection Declaration.
The protection of your personal data is of the highest priority for ÖAW. If you are not in agreement with the use of your personal data to the extent concerning you in this Data Protection Declaration, then please do not disclose your personal data. This may possibly result in cooperation agreements and business relations not materialising or rather you not having any or only restricted access to the services and products for the use of which the processing of our data is needed.
Legal basis for collection and processing of your personal data
Personal data are only collected and processed by us to the statutorily allowed extent. This is, for instance, the case if you have given your consent to ÖAW to process your data for specific purposes. However, the processing of your personal data may also be required in connection with the fulfilment of a contractual or statutory obligation, may be based on a legitimate interest of ÖAW or lie in the public interest. We process your data, for example, if you register for ÖAW events, for our newsletter or for press releases from ÖAW or if you come into contact with us in any other way.
Purpose and types of data
For what purposes your personal data are processed and, if required, which types of data we process, you can find out in connection with the particular data processing in question. For the presentation of ÖAW through an internet website, you will find this information under: ÖAW Websites
Transmittal of personal data to third parties and/or to foreign countries
Your data are not generally transmitted to third parties and/or to foreign countries. Should transmittal of data to a foreign country or to third parties be provided for or required, you will be separately informed of this in connection with the particular processing of your data.
Your data are basically only stored for as long as they are required or statutorily allowed in connection with the particular processing. On the particular storage period you will be informed separately in connection with the data processing in question.
Information about your rights
Right to information
You may demand information from ÖAW whether and, if so, which of your personal data and within what scope your personal data are processed.
Right to correction
If your data are processed by us incompletely or incorrectly, then you are at any time entitled to demand correction and/or supplementation (taking the particular processing purposes into account).
Right to deletion
You may demand deletion of your personal data from ÖAW if
- they are no longer needed for the purposes for which they were collected,
- you have revoked your consent and there is no other legal basis for processing, or
- they were processed illegally, or
- their deletion is necessary to meet a legal obligation.
Please note that there may also be reasons preventing immediate deletion, such as:
- Fulfilment of a legal obligation or performance of a task lying in the public interest,
- Statutorily regulated archiving purposes lying in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes, or
- The assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims.
If the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you may withdraw your consent in writing at any time. The contact details for the withdrawal of your consent can be found within the information on data protection in connection with the data processing in question. The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before the withdrawal.
Right to restriction of processing
You may demand restriction of processing your personal data if
- you dispute the correctness of the data and, more specifically, for the period of time making it possible to test the correctness of the data;
- the processing of the data occurred illegally, but you reject deletion and instead demand a restriction on use of the data;
- the data are no longer needed for the intended purpose, but you still need the data for assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims, or
- you have filed objection to processing of the data as long as it has not been established whether our legitimate interest in processing outweighs other considerations.
Right to data portability
You may demand from ÖAW that the data you provided are made available to you in a structured, conventional and machine readable format, provided
- such data are being processed on the basis of consent given by you and revocable by you, and
- such processing occurs with the aid of automated processes.
This right does not apply to any processing for the exercise of a task which lies in the public interest.
Right to object
You may, for reasons emerging from your own peculiar situation, at any time file an objection against the processing of personal data relating to you, provided
- the processing is required to defend the legitimate rights of ÖAW or rather a third party
- or required for performance of a task lying in the public interest,
- the processing is being done for scientific or historical research purposes or rather for statistical purposes, unless the processing is required in fulfilment of a task lying in the public interest.
After such an objection, your data will not be processed any further unless there are compelling protectable reasons for their processing which outweigh your rights and freedoms or if processing is necessary for assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Right of appeal
If you are of the opinion that ÖAW is breaching Austrian or European data protection law in processing your data, we request you to contact us in order to quickly clear up any eventual issues. Of course, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Austrian data protection authority or any competent public authority within the EU.
Availing of your rights
If you wish to avail yourself of any of the above rights, please contact us.
In the course of asserting your rights, it is possible that we have to require additional information to confirm your identity (e.g. official ID). This serves exclusively for your protection so that it can be excluded that third parties receive information about your data without authorisation.
ÖAW endeavours to react to all of your legitimate queries as quickly as possible and in accordance with statutory regulations and deadlines.
Contract data processing
Even if we commission a processor, we are responsible for the protection of your personal data.
We only deploy processors from outside the European Union if
- there is an adequacy decision by the European Union for the third country in question, or
- we make reference to the standard contract clauses of the European Commission, or
- there are suitable guarantees, e.g. in connection with the EU/US Privacy Shield (Europa.eu, Privacyshield.gov), or
- we have agreed binding internal data protection regulations with the processor.
Your data are transmitted to third parties if we are under a statutory obligation, the onward transmittal of the data is required for implementation of the contractual relation, you have expressly consented to transmittal of your data in advance or if there are legitimate interests.
External processors or other cooperation partners only receive your data if this is required or permitted, e.g. to execute a contract.
Your personal data are not sold or otherwise marketed to third parties.
Amendment of this Data Protection Declaration
ÖAW reserves the right to undertake at any time amendments or supplements to this Data Protection Declaration. Such amendments and supplements will be brought to your notice in this place.